Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1995 No 62
Historical version for 1 July 2010 to 28 September 2010 (accessed 4 August 2020 at 19:12) Current version
Part 5 Section 27
27   Application to register change of adult’s name
An adult person may apply to the Registrar, in a form approved by the Registrar, for registration of a change of the person’s name if:
(a)  the person’s birth is registered in the State, or
(b)  the person was born outside Australia, the person’s birth is not registered in Australia and the person has been resident in the State for at least 3 consecutive years immediately preceding the date of the application.