Education Standards Authority Act 2013 No 89
Division 2 Objectives and functions of Authority
10 Charter and annual Statement of Expectations
(1) The Authority is to have a charter, prepared by the Board and approved by the Minister, outlining its key responsibilities and objectives.(2) The Minister may, in a Statement of Expectations issued annually to the Authority, determine priorities in relation to the exercise by the Authority of its functions.(3) This section does not affect the operation of the Annual Reports (Statutory Bodies) Act 1984.
11 Principal objectives of Authority
(1) The principal objectives of the Authority are as follows:(a) to provide strategic leadership in improving standards of school education,(b) to promote an evidence-based approach in improving standards of school education,(c) to ensure that each of the following matters under the education and teaching legislation is developed, applied and monitored in a way that improves student learning while maintaining flexibility across the entire school education and teaching sector:(i) the school curriculum,(ii) forms of assessment,(iii) regulatory standards for schools,(iv) teaching quality and professional standards.(2) This section does not limit any of the other objectives of the Authority outlined in its charter.
12 Functions of Authority
(1) The Authority has the functions conferred or imposed on it by or under:(a) the education and teaching legislation, or(b) any other legislation.(2) In particular, the Authority has functions under the education and teaching legislation in relation to the following:(a) the school curriculum for primary and secondary school children,(b) the approval of initial and continuing teacher education courses and programs that are relevant to the accreditation of persons under the Teacher Accreditation Act 2004,(c) the accreditation of teachers and the monitoring of the accreditation process across all schools and early childhood education centres under that Act,(d) basic skills testing,(e) the granting of Records of School Achievement and Higher School Certificates,(f) the registration and accreditation of schools,(g) the approval of providers of courses at schools to overseas students,(h) the development, content and application of professional teaching standards,(i) reporting and advising on matters relating to the Authority’s functions.
12A Conduct of reviews
(1) The Authority may, subject to any direction by the Minister, conduct a review into any matter arising under the education and teaching legislation.(2) For the purposes of conducting any such review, the Authority may request a person or body to provide such information as the Authority reasonably requires.
12B Delegation of functions
(1) The Authority may delegate to an authorised person or body any of its functions under the education and teaching legislation, other than this power of delegation.(2) In this section:means any of the following:
12C Committees of the Board
(1) The Board may, with the approval of the Minister, establish committees:(a) to give advice or assistance to the Board in connection with any particular matter or function of the Board, or(b) for the purposes of enabling the functions of the Authority to be delegated to any such committee.Note.In addition to any committee established under this section, the Quality Teaching Committee is established under the Teacher Accreditation Act 2004 as a committee of the Board.(2) The Board is not to appoint a person as a member of a committee established under subsection (1) unless the Board is of the opinion that the person has appropriate expertise to make a valuable contribution to the committee. In appointing persons as members of a committee, the Board is to have regard to an appropriate mix of skills, knowledge and experience.(3) A committee of the Board that is exercising a delegated function of the Authority must, unless the Minister determines otherwise, be chaired by an appointed member. It does not matter that some or all of the other members of the committee are not appointed members of the Board.(4) A person cannot at any one time be the chairperson of more than 2 committees of the Board.(5) The procedure for the calling of meetings of a committee of the Board and for the conduct of business at those meetings is to be as determined by the Board or (subject to any determination of the Board) by the committee.
(1) Any committee of the Board may establish subcommittees to assist the committee in connection with the exercise of any of its functions.(2) A subcommittee of a committee of the Board need not include a member of the committee.(3) The procedure for the calling of meetings of a subcommittee of a committee of the Board and for the conduct of business at those meetings is to be as determined by the committee or (subject to any determination of the committee) by the subcommittee.