You are using a version of the website built for webcrawlers and people whose devices cannot use javascript.
Some functionality will not be available.
Warning: This page is an archive.
General administrative information and links are not current and should not be used.
Contents (2010 - 42)
Residential Tenancies Act 2010 No 42
Current version for 7 July 2017 to date (accessed 24 June 2018 at 23:12)
Part 9 Division 1 Section 187
187   Orders that may be made by Tribunal
(1)  The Tribunal may, on application by a landlord or tenant or other person under this Act, or in any proceedings under this Act, make one or more of the following orders:
(a)  an order that restrains any action in breach of a residential tenancy agreement,
(b)  an order that requires an action in performance of a residential tenancy agreement,
(c)  an order for the payment of an amount of money,
(d)  an order as to compensation,
(e)  an order that a party to a residential tenancy agreement perform such work or take such other steps as the order specifies to remedy a breach of the agreement,
(f)  an order that requires payment of part or all of the rent payable under a residential tenancy agreement to the Tribunal until the whole or part of the agreement has been performed or any application for compensation has been determined,
(g)  an order that requires rent paid to the Tribunal to be paid towards the cost of remedying a breach of the residential tenancy agreement or towards the amount of any compensation,
(h)  an order directing a landlord, landlord’s agent or tenant to comply with a requirement of this Act or the regulations,
(i)  a termination order or an order for the possession of premises,
(j)  an order directing a landlord or landlord’s agent to give a former tenant or person authorised by a former tenant access to residential premises for the purpose of recovering goods of the former tenant or fixtures that the former tenant is entitled to remove.
(2)  Without limiting the Tribunal’s power to make an order as to compensation, the Tribunal may order compensation to be paid for the following:
(a)  loss of rent,
(b)  any other breach of a residential tenancy agreement,
(c)  loss or damage suffered by a person as a result of inaccurate, ambiguous or out-of-date information being listed about the person on a residential tenancy database.
(3)  An order under subsection (1) (a) or (b) may be made even though it provides a remedy in the nature of an injunction or order for specific performance in circumstances in which such a remedy would not otherwise be available.
(4)  The Tribunal must not make an order for:
(a)  the payment of an amount that exceeds the amount (if any) prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this section, or
(b)  the performance of work or the taking of steps the cost of which is likely to or will exceed the amount (if any) prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this section.
 This Act also confers other order-making powers on the Tribunal, including other specific powers to make termination orders, to declare that premises have been abandoned, to make orders about holding fees and to make various orders about rental bonds.