You are using a version of the website built for webcrawlers and people whose devices cannot use javascript.
Some functionality will not be available.
Warning: This page is an archive.
General administrative information and links are not current and should not be used.
Contents (2010 - 42)
Residential Tenancies Act 2010 No 42
Current version for 1 July 2018 to date (accessed 16 July 2018 at 08:46)
Part 7 Division 3
Division 3 Water usage charges, rent and other payments
139   Social housing tenants to pay charges for water
(1) Charges payable A tenant under a social housing tenancy agreement must pay to the landlord any charges, determined in accordance with guidelines approved by the appropriate Minister, in respect of water usage by the tenant.
(2) Guidelines for payment of charges The guidelines may provide for the determination of the charges by reference to any of the following:
(a)  actual usage or estimated usage,
(b)  the income of the tenant,
(c)  the rent payable by the tenant (whether with or without rent rebate).
(3)  The guidelines may include other matters, including a requirement that charges in respect of water usage be paid by the tenant in advance.
(4)  The guidelines are to be made publicly available.
(5)  A copy of the guidelines is to be provided, on request, to any tenant under a social housing tenancy agreement free of charge and to other persons either free of charge or on payment of reasonable copying charges.
(6)  The guidelines may be amended or replaced from time to time.
(7)    (Repealed)
140   Payment of debts by social housing tenants
A tenant under a social housing tenancy agreement who incurs or has incurred a debt to the landlord in connection with that agreement or a prior social housing tenancy agreement:
(a)  must enter into arrangements with the landlord, in accordance with any reasonable request of the landlord, for the payment of that debt, and
(b)  must comply with those arrangements (including any such arrangement entered into during the term of a prior social housing tenancy agreement) and with any variations to those arrangements that may be agreed to by the landlord and tenant.
141   Cancellation or reduction of rent rebates
(1)  A tenant under a social housing tenancy agreement whose rent rebate is cancelled may apply to the Tribunal for an order declaring that the rent payable under the agreement (or a proposed social housing tenancy agreement for premises already occupied by the tenant) is excessive.
(2)  The tenant may do so within the period prescribed by the regulations after the cancellation of the rent rebate takes effect.
(3)  This section is in addition to any other provision of this Act.
 For remedies relating to excessive rents, see section 44.