Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 1998
14 Conditional registration
(1) The Authority may register a registrable vehicle conditionally
(a) the vehicle does not comply with an applicable vehicle standard
for the vehicle, or
(b) the Authority considers it appropriate for some other reason to
register the vehicle conditionally.
(2) The Authority may refuse to register a registrable vehicle
conditionally under subclause (1) (a) if the vehicle does not bear an
operations plate or identification plate relating to the vehicle, or a
certificate of approved operations has not been issued or accepted by the
Authority in respect of the vehicle.
(3) In determining the conditions to be imposed on the registration of
a registrable vehicle that does not comply with an applicable vehicle standard
for the vehicle, the Authority must take into account the nature and extent of
any failure of the vehicle to meet the requirements of the applicable vehicle
standards for the vehicle.
(4) The Authority may at any time vary any conditions that it imposes
on the registration of a registrable vehicle.
(5) The Authority must notify a registered operator in writing of the
conditions, or any variation of the conditions, applicable to the conditional
registration of a registrable vehicle. Any such conditions or variation of
conditions have effect only on the notification of the registered