Children’s Services Regulation 2004
30 Space requirements: centre based children’s
(1) The premises of a centre based children’s service must
(a) a room or an area that is used only for administration of the
service and for private consultation between staff and parents,
(b) a room or an area, located away from the areas used by children,
that is used for respite of staff, and
(c) a room or an area that is used only for sleeping for children
under 2 years of age.
(2) The premises of a centre based children’s service must have
at least 3.25 square metres of unencumbered indoor play space per child that
is exclusively for the use of children provided with education and care while
in attendance at the service.
(3) For the purposes of calculating unencumbered indoor play space,
items such as any passage way or thoroughfare, door swing areas, kitchen, cot
rooms, toilet or shower areas located in the building or any other facility
such as cupboards and areas set aside as referred to in subclause (1) are to
(4) Subject to subclauses (7) and (8), the premises of a centre based
children’s service must have at least 7 square metres of useable outdoor
play space per child that is exclusively for the use of children provided with
education and care while in attendance at the
(5) For the purposes of calculating useable outdoor play space, items
such as car parking areas, storage sheds and other fixed items that prevent
children from using the space or that obstruct the view of staff supervising
children in the space are to be excluded.
(6) The outdoor play space must be adequately shaded in accordance
with guidelines published by the New South Wales Cancer Council under the
title Shade for Child Care
Services, as in force immediately before the commencement of
(7) If the Director-General is satisfied that the location of a centre
based children’s service makes it impracticable to provide the required
amount of useable outdoor play space, the Director-General may consent to the
provision of some or all of that space in an indoor area that is to be
designed and equipped to permit children to participate in activities that
promote gross motor skills.
(8) The Director-General may impose conditions on such a consent
relating to any matter the Director-General sees fit, including the
availability of natural light and ventilation.