State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008
3A.33 Swimming pools
(1) Ancillary development comprising a swimming pool for private use must be located on a lot:
(a) behind the setback area from a primary road, or
(b) in the rear yard.
Note. Development for the purposes of a swimming pool is not complying development under this Code unless it is ancillary to a dwelling house.
(2) The swimming pool water line must have a setback of at least 1m from a side or rear boundary.
(2A) Despite subclauses (1) and (2), if the swimming pool is being constructed in a heritage conservation area, the swimming pool must be located:
(a) behind the rear most building line of the dwelling house, and
(b) no closer to each side boundary than the dwelling house.
(3) Decking around a swimming pool must not be more than 600mm above ground level (existing).
(4) Coping around a swimming pool must not be more than:
(a) 1.4m above ground level (existing), or
(b) 300mm wide if the coping is more than 600mm above ground level (existing).
(5) Water from a swimming pool must be discharged in accordance with an approval under the Local Government Act 1993 if the lot is not connected to a sewer main.
(6) Pumps attached to the development must be housed in a soundproof enclosure.
(7) If the swimming pool is being constructed after, and at a different time to, the erection of a dwelling house on the lot, the development standards for this Code (other than the standards referred to in clause 3A.24 and this clause) do not apply to the construction.
Note. A child-resistant barrier must be constructed or installed in accordance with the requirements of the Swimming Pools Act 1992.