Division 2 Inspectors
238 Functions and powers of inspectors
(1) An inspector has the function of conducting investigations to enforce compliance with this Law.
(2) Schedule 6 sets out provisions relating to the powers of an inspector.
239 Appointment of inspectors
(1) A National Board may appoint the following persons as inspectors—
(a) members of the National Agency’s staff;
(b) contractors engaged by the National Agency.
(2) An inspector holds office on the conditions stated in the instrument of appointment.
(3) If an inspector’s appointment provides for a term of appointment, the inspector ceases holding office at the end of the term.
(4) An inspector may resign by signed notice of resignation given to the National Board that appointed the inspector.
240 Identity card
(1) A National Board must give an identity card to each inspector it appoints.
(2) The identity card must—
(a) contain a recent photograph of the inspector; and
(b) be signed by the inspector; and
(c) identify the person as an inspector appointed by the National Board; and
(d) include an expiry date.
(3) This section does not prevent the issue of a single identity card to a person—
(a) if the person is appointed as an inspector for this Law by more than one National Board; or
(b) if the person is appointed as an inspector and investigator for this Law by a National Board; or
(c) for this Law and other Acts.
(4) A person who ceases to be an inspector must give the person’s identity card to the National Board that appointed the person within 7 days after the person ceases to be an inspector, unless the person has a reasonable excuse.
241 Display of identity card
(1) An inspector may exercise a power in relation to someone else (the other person) only if the inspector—
(a) first produces the inspector’s identity card for the other person’s inspection; or
(b) has the identity card displayed so it is clearly visible to the other person.
(2) However, if for any reason it is not practicable to comply with subsection (1) before exercising the power, the inspector must produce the identity card for the other person’s inspection at the first reasonable opportunity.