Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 No 84
97 Registration of certain interests
(1) The Director-General is to keep a register of legal and equitable
interests in petroleum titles.
(2) Any person claiming a legal or equitable interest in a petroleum
title may apply for registration of the interest.
(3) An application must be lodged with the Director-General and must
be accompanied by the prescribed fee for registration and by written evidence
(including, but not limited to, documentary evidence) of the legal or
equitable interest concerned.
(4) The Director-General may, if satisfied that the applicant holds
the interest concerned, register the interest or the document by which the
interest is evidenced.
(5) The Director-General may, on application by the holder of an
interest or otherwise, make such amendments to the register kept under this
section as are appropriate to reflect dealings in the
(6) Without limiting the generality of subsection (5), the
Director-General may cancel the registration of an interest if of the opinion
that the interest has ceased to exist.
(7) The registration of an interest under this section is not to be
taken to be evidence of the existence of the
(8) For the purposes of any legal proceedings concerning a petroleum
(a) a registered interest has priority over an interest that is not
(b) an earlier registered interest has priority over a later
(9) The register must be kept available at the head office of the
Department for inspection, free of charge, by members of the public during
ordinary office hours.
(10) An application under this section may be withdrawn by means of a
notice of withdrawal signed by the applicant and lodged with the
Director-General and ceases to have effect when the notice is
(11) The withdrawal of an application under this section is