Division 3 Assessors
15 Appointment of assessors
(1) The Chairperson may appoint any person whose name is on the list
compiled under Schedule 4 as an assessor for the purpose of particular
(2) An assessor has the functions conferred or imposed on an assessor
by or under any Act.
(3) Schedule 4 applies to and in respect of an assessor appointed
under this section.
16 Inquiries by assessors
(1) If proceedings are pending, the Tribunal or the Chairperson may,
with the consent of the parties to whom the proceedings relate, direct that an
inquiry into any issue raised in, or other matter connected with, the
proceedings be made by a single assessor.
(2) The assessor making such an inquiry is to make a report to the
(3) If a report is made to the Tribunal under this section, the
Registrar is to furnish a copy of the report to each of the parties concerned
as soon as is practicable.
(4) The Tribunal may adopt any findings or observations set out in a
report under this section.
(5) An assessor, in making an inquiry under this section, has and may
exercise such functions as the regulations may
(6) An assessor who has made an inquiry under this section in relation
to any proceedings is disqualified from further participation in those
proceedings unless the parties otherwise agree.
17 Assessors sitting with Tribunal
(1) The Tribunal may, in determining any proceedings or part of any
proceedings, be assisted by one or more assessors.
(2) An assessor assisting the Tribunal under this section may assist
and advise the Tribunal, but is not to adjudicate on any matter that is the
subject of the proceedings.
(3) The Tribunal may dispense with the services of an assessor at any
stage of the proceedings concerned.
18 Costs of assessors
(1) Any costs payable to an assessor who has assisted the Tribunal in
proceedings are payable by the Tribunal, except to the extent that regulations
provide that the parties in the proceedings are to pay such
(2) The regulations made for the purposes of this section may provide
that the parties are to pay such costs:
(a) in the proportions that they may agree among themselves or,
failing agreement, in the manner ordered by the Tribunal,
(b) in any other manner prescribed by the