National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 No 80
71AO Functions of boards of management
(1) A board of management for lands to which this Division applies has
the following functions:
(a) the care, control and management of the lands,
(b) the preparation of plans of management for the
(c) the supervision of payments from the Fund with respect to the
(2) Without limiting subsection (1), a board of management has the
function of considering proposals for the carrying out, by Aboriginal owners
or other Aboriginal persons, of cultural activities (such as hunting and
gathering) within the lands and of approving, or refusing to approve, the
carrying out of those activities.
(3) A board of management must exercise its functions in accordance
with any plan of management in force with respect to the lands for which it is
(4) In the exercise of its functions, a board of management is subject
to the control and direction of the Minister.
(5) Despite subsection (4), the Minister may not give directions to a
board of management in relation to:
(a) the contents of any report, advice, information or recommendation
that is to be or may be made or given by the board, or
(b) any decision of the board, that is not inconsistent with this Act
and the plan of management for the lands for which it was established,
relating to the care, control and management of Aboriginal heritage and
culture within the lands.
(6) In the exercise of its functions with respect to the care, control
and management of lands for which no plan of management is in force, a board
of management is to consult with and have regard to the advice of the
(7) A board of management may delegate the exercise of any function of
the board of management under this Act (other than this power of delegation)
(a) a member of the board, or
(b) a member of staff of the Department, or
(c) any person, or any class of persons, authorised for the purposes
of this subsection by the regulations.