Division 1 Appointment
29 Appointment of assessors
(1) The Minister may appoint persons to be assessors of the Tribunal
who, in the opinion of the Minister, have special knowledge of, or experience
in, any area within the jurisdiction of the
(2) An assessor may be appointed on a full-time or part-time
(3) Schedule 4 has effect with respect to
30 Acting assessors
(1) The President may appoint any person whose name is on the list
compiled under section 31 to act as an assessor:
(a) for a period not exceeding 12 months, or
(b) for the purpose of particular proceedings before the
(2) Any person who is appointed to act as an assessor under this
section has and may exercise all of the functions of an assessor while acting
as an assessor.
31 Lists of persons eligible to be appointed to act as
(1) The Minister may compile a list or lists of persons considered by
the Minister to be suitable to be appointed to act as assessors under section
(2) Different lists may be compiled for different types of matters or
to take account of any other factors.
(3) A person may be included in a list under this section only if the
person consents to being included in the list.
(4) In compiling any list, the Minister may consult with the
(5) The Minister may amend or revoke any list compiled under this
section for any reason that the Minister considers
(6) The Minister is to review at least annually any list compiled
under this section.
(7) The Minister may delegate any of the Minister’s functions
under this section (other than this power of delegation) to the head of the
Department administering this Act.
32 Functions of assessors generally
An assessor has:
(a) the functions conferred or imposed by or under Division 2,
(b) such other functions as are conferred or imposed on the assessor
by or under this or any other Act or law.
Note. Functions conferred or imposed on assessors (other than by or
under Division 2) include the function of conducting a preliminary conference
under section 74.