Part 6 Management of Aboriginal Housing Office
29 Ministerial control
(1) The Aboriginal Housing Office is, in the exercise of its
functions, subject to the control and direction of the
(2) An approval of the Minister under a provision of this Act may
apply generally or be limited to a particular case.
30 Board of AHO
(1) There is to be a Board of the Aboriginal Housing
(2) The Board is to consist of the following members:
(a) the Director-General or a member of staff of the relevant
Government Service Division nominated by the
(b) such Aboriginal persons as are appointed by the
(3) The number of appointed members is to be determined by the
Minister, but is not to be less than 6 nor more than
(4) The Minister may determine the criteria for eligibility for
appointment, including by requiring one or more of the appointed members to be
nominated for appointment by a relevant body, group or person (such as ATSIC
or the New South Wales Aboriginal Land Council).
(5) Of the members appointed by the Minister, one is to be appointed
by the Minister as Chairperson of the Board. The person appointed as
Chairperson of the Board may be appointed as a full-time or part-time member
of the Board.
(6) All other members of the Board appointed by the Minister are to be
appointed as part-time members of the Board.
(7) Schedule 1 has effect with respect to the constitution and
procedure of the Board.
31 Functions of Board
The functions of the Board are as follows:
(a) to determine policies of the Aboriginal Housing
(b) such other functions as may be imposed or conferred on it by or
under this or any other Act.
32 Aboriginal Regional Housing Committees
(1) There is to be established an Aboriginal Regional Housing
(a) for each region of the State that is a region under the
Commonwealth Act, or
(b) for such regions as may be determined by the
(2) The Board is to determine the membership, constitution and
procedure of an Aboriginal Regional Housing
(3) An Aboriginal Regional Housing Committee has the following
(a) to advise the Board on Aboriginal housing
(b) such other functions as are delegated to the Committee by the
Note. The Commonwealth Act provides for the division of Australia into
regions for the purposes of the establishment of Regional Councils under that
33 Director-General to manage affairs of AHO
(1) The Director-General is responsible for the day to day management
of the affairs of the Aboriginal Housing Office in accordance with the
specific policies and general directions of the
(2) Any act, matter or thing done in the name of, or on behalf of, the
AHO by the Director-General is taken to have been done by the