Division 1 Registration scheme
33 Register of Firearms
(1) The Commissioner is to cause to be compiled and maintained a
Register of Firearms.
(2) The Register is to contain:
(a) such particulars of each registered firearm (including its serial
number if any) as are sufficient to identify the firearm and the person in
whose name the firearm is registered, and
(b) particulars of the licence or permit of the person in respect of
whom the firearm is registered, and
(c) such other information as may be required by the regulations to be
included in the Register.
(3) The Register is to be maintained in such form as:
(a) to enable the Register to be linked to the National Exchange of
Police Information (NEPI) scheme, and
(b) to enable information in the Register to be accessed by other
State and Territory government firearms
(4) The Register is not to be made available for inspection by any
member of the public.
(5) The regulations may make provision with respect to the
34 Registration of firearms
(1) An application for registration of a firearm must be in the
manner, and be accompanied by the fee (if any), prescribed by the
(2) The Commissioner is to register a firearm that is the subject of
an application, except as provided by this section.
(3) The Commissioner must not register a firearm if the person in
whose name the firearm is registered is not the holder of a licence or permit
in respect of the firearm.
(4) In the case of a person who is the holder of a category C licence,
no more than one rifle to which the licence applies, and no more than one
shotgun to which the licence applies, is to be registered in the name of that
(5) The Commissioner may refuse to register a firearm if any firearm
to which the application relates is not first produced for inspection by a
member of the Police Force.
(6) The Commissioner registers a firearm by entering in the Register
particulars of the firearm and particulars relating to the person in whose
name the firearm is registered.
(a) a firearm is registered in accordance with subsection (6),
(b) the Commissioner, in accordance with the regulations, records in
the Register a change in the particulars relating to the person in whose name
a firearm is registered,
the Commissioner is to issue a notice of registration to the person in
whose name the firearm is registered.
(8) A registered firearm ceases to be registered if registration of
the firearm is cancelled under section 35. However nothing in this subsection
prevents the further registration of a firearm after it ceases to be a
35 Cancellation of registration
(1) The Commissioner may, by notice in writing served on the person in
whose name a firearm is registered, cancel the registration of the firearm
(a) had the firearm not been registered, the Commissioner would be
required not to register it on the grounds that the person does not hold a
licence or permit in respect of the firearm, or
(b) the Commissioner is satisfied that the applicant for registration
made a statement in or in connection with the application that the applicant
knew to be false or misleading in a material particular,
(c) the person in whose name the firearm is registered is convicted of
an offence under this Act or the regulations or an offence prescribed by the
regulations for the purposes of this section, or
(d) the person in whose name the firearm is registered requests the
(2) Cancellation of the registration of a firearm takes effect on the
notice being served on the person in whose name the firearm is
(3) On cancellation of the registration of a firearm, a police officer
is authorised to seize the firearm.