Appropriation Act 2008 No 45
31 Variation of authorised payments from Consolidated
(1) In this section, purpose means a purpose specified
in Part 2 or 3 in relation to a Minister to which a sum is appropriated for
recurrent services or for capital works and
(2) Payment of a sum appropriated under Part 2 or 3 for a purpose may
not be made in excess of the sum specified for the purpose or, if the same
purpose is specified in Parts 2 and 3, the total sum specified for that
purpose, except as provided by this section or Division 4 of Part 2 of the
Public Finance and Audit Act
(3) If the exigencies of government so require, the Treasurer may
authorise the payment of a sum in excess of the sum or total sum specified for
a purpose, but only if an equivalent sum is not paid out for another purpose,
whether the other purpose is specified in relation to the same or a different
Minister, subject to subsections (4) and (5).
(4) A sum appropriated for recurrent services may only be paid out for
recurrent services and a sum appropriated for capital works and services may
only be paid out for capital works and services.
(5) A sum appropriated under Part 3 may only be paid out for a purpose
specified in Part 3.
(6) This section does not apply to sums appropriated by another
(7) This section does not enable the Treasurer to authorise the
payment of a sum in augmentation of, or as an addition to, any salary or wages
the amount of which has been fixed by law.
(8) The Treasurer is to inform the Auditor-General of every
authorisation given under this section.
(9) An authorisation under this section may be given before or after
the relevant payment is made.