Business Names (Commonwealth Powers) Act 2011 No 44
(1) The initial business names matters are referred to the Parliament
of the Commonwealth, but only to the extent of the making of laws with respect
to those matters by enacting Acts in the terms, or substantially in the terms,
of the tabled text.
(2) Each continuing business names matter is referred to the
Parliament of the Commonwealth, but only to the extent of the making of laws
with respect to the matter by making express amendments of the national
business names legislation.
(3) The operation of each of subsections (1) and (2) is not affected
by the other subsection.
(4) The reference of a matter under subsection (1) or (2) has effect
only if and to the extent that the matter is not included in the legislative
powers of the Parliament of the Commonwealth (otherwise than by a reference
for the purposes of section 51 (xxxvii) of the Constitution of the
(5) Despite any provision other than section 9 (4), a reference under
subsection (1) or (2) has effect for a period:
(a) beginning when the subsection under which the reference is made
comes into operation, and
(b) ending at the end of the day fixed under section 8 (1) (a), (b) or
(c) as the day on which the reference is to
but not longer.