Division 2 Additional powers at the request of the roads
116 Applications for consent
(1) A roads authority may apply to the RTA for consent to:
(a) the erection of any notice or barrier, the carrying out of any
work or the taking of any other action for the purpose of regulating traffic
on a public road for purposes other than those referred to in Division 1,
(b) the removal of any notice or barrier, the demolition of any work
or the ceasing of any action for which it has been given consent under this
(2) Before doing so, the roads authority must cause notice of the
application to be published in a local newspaper.
(3) The notice:
(a) must specify the particular action for which the roads authority
is applying for consent, and
(b) must state that any person is entitled to make submissions to the
RTA with respect to the granting of consent, and
(c) must indicate the manner in which, and the period (being at least
28 days) within which, any such submission should be
(4) This section does not apply to the erection of any notice, the
carrying out of any work or the taking of any other action that the roads
authority is required by Division 3 to erect, carry out or
117 Public submissions
(1) Any person may make submissions to the RTA or to the roads
authority with respect to the application.
(2) The roads authority must ensure that any submissions received by
it with respect to the application are forwarded to the
118 Decision on application
(1) After considering any submissions that have been duly made with
respect to an application, the RTA may grant consent to the application,
either unconditionally or subject to conditions, or may refuse the
(2) The roads authority is authorised to take such action as is
specified in a consent under this section.
119 Review of RTA’s decision
(1) A roads authority may request the Minister to review the decision
of the RTA:
(a) to refuse an application under this Division,
(b) to impose conditions on a consent granted under this
(2) The request must be accompanied by copies of all submissions made
in connection with the original application.
(3) The Minister, after taking into consideration the submissions and
any representations made by the RTA with respect to the application, may deal
with the application in any way in which the application could have been dealt
with by the RTA.
(4) The Minister’s decision under this section is taken to be
the decision of the RTA and has effect accordingly.