240 How are the categories to be determined?
(1) The Remuneration Tribunal is to determine categories for councils
and mayoral offices according to the following matters:
• the size of areas
• the physical terrain of areas
• the population of areas and the distribution of the
• the nature and volume of business dealt with by each
• the nature and extent of the development of
• the diversity of communities served
• the regional, national and international significance of the
• such matters as the Remuneration Tribunal considers relevant to
the provision of efficient and effective local government
• such other matters as may be prescribed by the
(2) In the application of this section to county councils, the
categories of county councils are to be determined having regard also to the
functions of county councils.