Local Government Act 1993 No 30
Current version for 1 January 2015 to date (accessed 31 January 2015 at 02:29)

68   What activities, generally, require the approval of the council?

(1)  A person may carry out an activity specified in the following Table only with the prior approval of the council, except in so far as this Act, the regulations or a local policy adopted under Part 3 allows the activity to be carried out without that approval.
(2)  This section does not apply to the carrying out of an activity specified in Part B of the following Table:
(a)  on land within the area of operations of the Sydney Water Board under the Sydney Water Act 1994, or
(b)  on land within the area of operations of the Hunter Water Board under the Hunter Water Act 1991.
(3)  This section does not apply to the carrying out of an activity specified in item 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 of Part B of the following Table on land within the area of operations of a water supply authority constituted under the Water Management Act 2000.
Note. A person who fails to obtain an approval or who carries out an activity otherwise than in accordance with an approval is guilty of an offence—see secs 626 and 627.



Part A   Structures or places of public entertainment

1   Install a manufactured home, moveable dwelling or associated structure on land

2, 3   (Repealed)

Part B   Water supply, sewerage and stormwater drainage work

1   Carry out water supply work

2   Draw water from a council water supply or a standpipe or sell water so drawn

3   Install, alter, disconnect or remove a meter connected to a service pipe

4   Carry out sewerage work

5   Carry out stormwater drainage work

6   Connect a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of a council or with a drain or sewer which connects with such a public drain or sewer

Part C   Management of waste

1   For fee or reward, transport waste over or under a public place

2   Place waste in a public place

3   Place a waste storage container in a public place

4   Dispose of waste into a sewer of the council

5   Install, construct or alter a waste treatment device or a human waste storage facility or a drain connected to any such device or facility

6   Operate a system of sewage management (within the meaning of section 68A)

Part D   Community land

1   Engage in a trade or business

2   Direct or procure a theatrical, musical or other entertainment for the public

3   Construct a temporary enclosure for the purpose of entertainment

4   For fee or reward, play a musical instrument or sing

5   Set up, operate or use a loudspeaker or sound amplifying device

6   Deliver a public address or hold a religious service or public meeting

Part E   Public roads

1   Swing or hoist goods across or over any part of a public road by means of a lift, hoist or tackle projecting over the footway

2   Expose or allow to be exposed (whether for sale or otherwise) any article in or on or so as to overhang any part of the road or outside a shop window or doorway abutting the road, or hang an article beneath an awning over the road

3   (Repealed)

Part F   Other activities

1   Operate a public car park

2   Operate a caravan park or camping ground

3   Operate a manufactured home estate

4   Install a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance, other than a portable appliance

5   Install or operate amusement devices

6   (Repealed)

7   Use a standing vehicle or any article for the purpose of selling any article in a public place

8, 9   (Repealed)

10   Carry out an activity prescribed by the regulations or an activity of a class or description prescribed by the regulations

Top of page