Local Government Act 1993 No 30
66 Appointment of administrator
(1) The Minister for Primary Industries may, with the concurrence of
the Minister for Local Government, by order published in the Gazette, appoint
an administrator to exercise all the functions under this Division, or
specified functions under this Act, of a council.
(2) Such an order may not be made until after a public inquiry
concerning the exercise by the council of the relevant functions has been
(3) The appointment of one or more persons as a commissioner or
commissioners to hold the public inquiry may, despite section 740, be made by
the Minister for Primary Industries with the concurrence of the Minister for
(4) The administrator is to be paid a salary determined by the
Minister for Primary Industries with the concurrence of the Minister for Local
Government from the council’s funds.
(5) An administrator has, during the administrator’s term of
office and to the exclusion of the council, the functions the administrator
was appointed to exercise.
(6) The regulations may make provision for or with respect to:
• the appointment and term of office of an
• an administrator’s accommodation, and the accommodation of
persons assisting the administrator, at the offices of the
• the assistance to be rendered to an administrator by the