Local Government Act 1993 No 30
(1) The Minister for Climate Change and the Environment may, with the
concurrence of the Minister administering this Act, from time to time prepare,
adopt or vary guidelines relating to environmental upgrade agreements and the
functions of councils under this Part.
(2) In particular, the guidelines may specify provisions that may be
included in an environmental upgrade agreement with respect to:
(a) the making of contributions by lessees towards environmental
upgrade charges payable under an agreement (including by providing for the
methodology by which the cost savings to be made by a lessee as a consequence
of environmental upgrade works are to be estimated), and
(b) progress or implementation reports to be made by a building owner
under an environmental upgrade agreement.
(3) The methodology may permit both savings made directly by the
lessee and a proportion of savings made by all occupants of the relevant
building to be counted towards the cost savings made by the
(4) A council must take the guidelines into consideration before
exercising any of its functions under this Part.
(5) The regulations may adopt the guidelines, or any part of the
guidelines, as mandatory requirements.
(6) A council must comply with any mandatory requirements of the
guidelines in exercising its functions under this
(7) Guidelines made under this section are to be published in the