Local Government Act 1993 No 30
606B Review of cost of coastal protection service charges on
request of ratepayer
(1) A council must, on request, provide a person who is liable to pay
an annual charge for coastal protection services with a report prepared by an
independent person on the cost to the council of providing those
(2) A request for a report under subsection (1) is to be accompanied
by a fee determined by the council to cover the council’s reasonable
costs in providing the report.
(3) If a council provides a report to a person under subsection (1)
the council is to make the report available to all other persons liable to pay
an annual charge in relation to the same services.
(4) A council is not required to provide a report under subsection (1)
to a person if the council has in the previous 3 years provided or made
available to the person such a report in relation to the same coastal
(5) Despite subsection (2), a fee is not required to accompany the
(a) a request made during the first year that an annual charge is made
and levied on the relevant parcel of land,
(b) a request made during the year following an increase in the annual
charge by a percentage that is greater than the percentage specified in an
order under section 506 for the year concerned.