Local Government Act 1993 No 30
603 Certificate as to rates and charges
(1) A person may apply to the council for a certificate as to the
amount (if any) due or payable to the council, by way of rates, charges or
otherwise, in respect of a parcel of land.
(2) The application must be in the approved form and be accompanied by
the approved fee.
(3) The council is to issue a certificate to the applicant
(a) the rates, charges or other amounts due or payable to the council
in respect of the land and when they became due or payable, or that no such
rates, charges or other amounts are due or payable, and
(b) the balance of any special rate waived, under section 565, and the
period for which it is waived, and
(c) the work carried out on the land by the council and the cost that
may be recovered from the owner or occupier for the work, or that no such work
has been carried out, and
(d) the name of the person shown in the council’s records at the
date of the certificate as the owner of the land, if the person acquired the
land under Division 5 of Part 2 of Chapter 17.
(4) The production of the certificate is taken for all purposes to be
conclusive proof in favour of a bona fide purchaser for value of the matters
(5) For the purposes of this section, rates, charges and other amounts
are taken to be due or payable even though the requisite period after service
of any notice may not have expired.