Local Government Act 1993 No 30
525 Application for change of category
(1) A rateable person (or the person’s agent) may apply to the
council at any time:
(a) for a review of a declaration that the person’s rateable
land is within a particular category for the purposes of section 514,
(b) to have the person’s rateable land declared to be within a
particular category for the purposes of that
(2) An application must be in the approved form, must include a
description of the land concerned and must nominate the category the applicant
considers the land should be within.
(3) The council must declare the land to be within the category
nominated in the application unless it has reasonable grounds for believing
that the land is not within that category.
(4) If the council has reasonable grounds for believing that the land
is not within the nominated category, it may notify the applicant of any
further information it requires in order to be satisfied that the land is
within that category. After considering any such information, the council must
declare the category for the land.
(5) The council must notify the applicant of its decision. The council
must include the reasons for its decision if it declares that the land is not
within the category nominated in the application.
(6) If the council has not notified the applicant of its decision
within 40 days after the application is made to it, the council is taken, at
the end of the 40-day period, to have declared the land to be within its