Local Government Act 1993 No 30
296A Elections administered by a general manager
(1) This section applies to an election administered by the general
manager of a council.
(2) The general manager is to appoint a returning officer and a
substitute returning officer for the election. In the absence of the returning
officer, the substitute returning officer is to exercise the functions of the
(3) The returning officer is to appoint one or more electoral
(4) An employee of a council for an area cannot be appointed as a
returning officer or substitute returning officer for that area. However, an
electoral official may be an employee of the
(5) A general manager cannot be appointed as a returning officer,
substitute returning officer or electoral official for any
(6) For the purpose of conducting an election, the returning officer
and substitute returning officer for an area are entitled to access to any
relevant records of the council for the area.
(7) For the purpose of administering an election, the general manager
(a) appoint the polling places, and
(b) determine the fees payable to the returning officer, substitute
returning officer and electoral officials.
(8) For the purpose of conducting an election, the returning officer
is to determine any matter not provided for by this Act or the
(9) Expenses incurred by the returning officer, substitute returning
officer and electoral officials in connection with an election are to be met
by the council.
(10) The returning officer and the substitute returning officer must
not vote at any election that they are conducting.