Local Government Act 1993 No 30
270 Who is an “owner of rateable land” for the
purposes of this Part?
(1) For the purposes of this Part, a person is the owner of rateable
(a) the person is not a corporation, is the sole owner of the rateable
land and does not own it as trustee, or
(b) the person is not a corporation, is a joint or several owner of
the rateable land and is nominated in writing as an elector by the only other
owner of the land, or by a majority of all the owners of the land,
(c) the person is not a corporation, is not a nominee under paragraph
(b) and is nominated in writing as an elector by a corporation which is the
owner, or by trustees who are the owners, of the land, or
(d) the person is a lessee of the land from the Crown and the land is
rateable Crown land.
(2) Land is not rateable land for the purposes of this Part if it is a
lot in a strata plan that is registered under the Strata Schemes (Freehold Development) Act
1973 or the Strata Schemes
(Leasehold Development) Act 1986 and is provided only for the
purpose of parking a motor vehicle.
(3) If there is more than one person who (by virtue of subsection (1))
is the owner of the same parcel of rateable land, only one of the persons is
entitled to be enrolled as an elector for a ward.
(4) If a corporation or trustees own more than one parcel of land in
an area, or if joint or several owners of one parcel of land in an area are
also joint or several owners of any other parcel of land in the area, it or
they can nominate a person as the owner of rateable land only in respect of
one of those parcels.
(5) A nomination under this section is to be lodged with the general