Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 No 203
89 Determination of Crown development applications
(1) A consent authority (other than the Minister) must not:
(a) refuse its consent to a Crown development application, except with the approval of the Minister, or
(b) impose a condition on its consent to a Crown development application, except with the approval of the applicant or the Minister.
(2) If the consent authority fails to determine a Crown development application within the period prescribed by the regulations, the applicant or the consent authority may refer the application:
(a) to the Minister, if the consent authority is not a council, or
(b) to the applicable regional panel, if the consent authority is a council.
(2A) A Crown development application for which the consent authority is a council must not be referred to the Minister unless it is first referred to the applicable regional panel.
(3) An applicable regional panel to which a Crown development application is referred may exercise the functions of the council as a consent authority (subject to subsection (1)) with respect to the application.
(4) A decision by a regional panel in determining a Crown development application is taken for all purposes to be the decision of the council.
(5) If an applicable regional panel fails to determine a Crown development application within the period prescribed by the regulations, the applicant or the panel may refer the application to the Minister.
(6) The party that refers an application under this section must notify the other party in writing that the application has been referred.
(7) When an application is referred under this section to an applicable regional panel or the Minister, the consent authority must, as soon as practicable, submit to the panel or the Minister:
(a) a copy of the development application, and
(b) details of its proposed determination of the development application, and
(c) the reasons for the proposed determination, and
(d) any relevant reports of another public authority.
(8) An application may be referred by a consent authority or applicable regional panel before the end of a relevant period referred to in subsection (2) or (5).