Industrial Relations Act 1996 No 17
384 Appointment of inspectors
(1) The Minister may appoint eligible persons as inspectors for the
purposes of this Act.
(2) The following persons are eligible to be appointed as
(a) public servants,
(b) officers of any public or local authority (including an authority
of the Commonwealth or of another State or Territory),
(c) any person of a class prescribed by the
(3) A person appointed as an inspector ceases to hold that office if
removed from that office by the Minister or if the person ceases to be
eligible to be appointed as an inspector.
(4) An inspector has such functions as are conferred or imposed by or
under this or any other Act or law on inspectors appointed for the purposes of
(5) The Minister is to provide each inspector with a certificate of
authority as an inspector.
(6) The functions of an inspector may be limited by the certificate of
(7) An inspector is required to produce the certificate of
(a) if requested to do so by the occupier of any premises that the
inspector enters, or
(b) if requested to do so by a person whom the inspector requires to
produce anything or to answer any question.
(8) The Minister may delegate any function under this section to the
Departmental Head of any Department responsible to the