Industrial Relations Act 1996 No 17
248 Directions for performance of rules
(1) A member of a State organisation may apply to the Commission for
an order giving directions for the performance or observance of any of the
rules of an organisation by any person who is under an obligation to perform
or observe those rules.
(2) Before making an order under this section, the Commission must
give any person against whom the order is sought an opportunity to be
(3) The Commission may refuse to deal with an application for an order
under this section unless it is satisfied that the applicant has taken all
reasonable steps to try to have the matter the subject of the application
resolved within the organisation.
(4) At any time after the making of an application for an order under
this section, the Commission may make such interim orders as it considers
appropriate and, in particular, orders intended to further the resolution
within the organisation concerned of the matter the subject of the
(5) An order under subsection (4) continues in force, unless expressed
to operate for a shorter period or sooner discharged, until the completion of
the proceeding concerned.
(6) An order must not be made under this section that would have the
effect of treating as invalid an election, or purported election, to an office
in a State organisation or a step in relation to such an
(7) The Commission, when considering an application under this
section, may make an order under section 247.