Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 No 156
282 Police powers to seize equipment
(1) This section applies if a noise abatement direction is in force
and the person to whom the direction is given is contravening the
(2) A police officer may seize or secure any equipment that is being
used to contravene the direction. The police officer may not do so unless the
person in charge of the equipment has been warned that the continued use of
the equipment may lead to its seizure.
(3) If any such equipment is seized, the police officer is to issue
the person from whom it is seized with a receipt that identifies the
equipment, states the time and date of seizure, identifies the police officer
seizing the equipment and notifies the procedure for the return of the
(4) Unless it is returned or released earlier at the discretion of a
police officer, any equipment that is seized or secured under this section
must be returned or released within 28 days.
(5) A person is not entitled to any compensation for damage caused to
equipment that is seized or secured under this section if the damage occurred
as a result of the police officer being obstructed or hindered in seizing or
securing the equipment.