Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 No 156
203 Power of authorised officers to require
(1) An authorised officer may require a person whom the authorised
officer suspects on reasonable grounds to have knowledge of matters in respect
of which information is reasonably required for the purposes of this Act to
answer questions in relation to those matters.
(2) The EPA or any other regulatory authority may, by notice in
writing, require a corporation to nominate, in writing within the time
specified in the notice, a director or officer of the corporation to be the
corporation’s representative for the purpose of answering questions
under this section.
(3) Answers given by a person nominated under subsection (2) bind the
(4) In the case of authorised officers appointed by the EPA,
subsection (1) is not limited to matters in respect of which the EPA is the
appropriate regulatory authority.
(5) An authorised officer may, by notice in writing, require a person
to attend at a specified place and time to answer questions under this section
if attendance at that place is reasonably required in order that the questions
can be properly put and answered.
(6) The place and time at which a person may be required to attend
under subsection (5) is to be:
(a) a place or time nominated by the person, or
(b) if the place and time nominated is not reasonable in the
circumstances or a place and time is not nominated by the person, a place and
time nominated by the authorised officer that is reasonable in the