Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 No 156
78 Review of licences
(1) The appropriate regulatory authority is required to review each
licence at intervals not exceeding 5 years after the issue of the
(2) The appropriate regulatory authority must give public notice of
the licences that are to be reviewed as follows:
(a) a notice of the review of each licence is to be published in a
newspaper circulating throughout the State,
(b) the notice is to be published not less than 1 month, and not more
than 6 months, before the review of the licence is
(c) the notice is to specify the activity or work to which the licence
relates and the address of the premises (if any) at which it is carried
(3) Any failure by the EPA to comply with the requirements of this
section to review a licence is to be reported by the EPA to the Board of the
EPA, and in the annual report of the EPA, together with a statement of reasons
for the failure.
(4) Any failure by a regulatory authority (other than the EPA) to
comply with the requirements of this section to review a licence is to be
reported to the EPA by that authority.
(4A) The EPA must audit, on an industry wide or regional basis,
compliance with licence requirements under this Act and whether such
requirements reflect best practice in relation to the matters regulated by the
(5) Any failure to comply with the requirements of this section cannot
be the subject of proceedings under this Act.