Commons Management Act 1989 No 13
4 A trust to be established in respect of each
(1) Whenever a parcel of land is set aside as a common after the
commencement of this section, the Minister must, by notice published in the
(a) establish a trust in respect of the common,
(b) assign a corporate name to the trust.
(2) A trust established under subsection (1) is constituted by this
Act as a corporation with the corporate name assigned in the notice
establishing the trust.
(3) A body corporate constituted in respect of a common by section 4
of the former Act and in existence immediately before the commencement of this
section continues in existence under this Act and is established as a trust in
respect of the common for the purposes of this Act.
(4) The Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette, alter the
corporate name of a trust.
(5) A trust established in respect of a common has the functions
conferred or imposed on it by or under this or any other
(6) The affairs of a trust shall be managed:
(a) by a trust board, or
(b) by a local authority appointed under section 7,
(c) where an administrator is appointed under section 5 or 48—by
(7) Section 50 of the Interpretation
Act 1987 applies to a trust, but subsection (1) (d) of that
section is, in its application to a trust, subject to the provisions of