Marine Safety Act 1998 No 121
125C Improvement notices
(1) The Minister may give an improvement notice to the owner of a public ferry wharf, or a person responsible for the maintenance of any such wharf, if the Minister is of the opinion that it is necessary to do so to ensure the safety of persons using, or operating, public passenger services provided by ferries.
(2) An improvement notice may require the person to undertake remedial safety work with respect to the public ferry wharf.
(3) The period within which a person is required by an improvement notice to undertake remedial safety work must be at least 7 days after the notice is given.
(4) However, the Minister may specify a period that is less than 7 days after the improvement notice is given if satisfied that it is reasonably practicable for the person to comply with the requirements imposed by the notice by the end of the period.
(5) An improvement notice must:
(a) state that the Minister is of the opinion referred to in subsection (1), and
(b) state the reasons for that opinion, and
(c) include information about obtaining a review of the notice under this Division.
(6) An improvement notice may be varied at the request of, or with the consent of, the person to whom it is given.