Marine Safety Act 1998 No 121
125C Improvement notices
(1) The Minister may give an improvement notice to the owner of a
public ferry wharf, or a person responsible for the maintenance of any such
wharf, if the Minister is of the opinion that it is necessary to do so to
ensure the safety of persons using, or operating, public passenger services
provided by ferries.
(2) An improvement notice may require the person to undertake remedial
safety work with respect to the public ferry wharf.
(3) The period within which a person is required by an improvement
notice to undertake remedial safety work must be at least 7 days after the
notice is given.
(4) However, the Minister may specify a period that is less than 7
days after the improvement notice is given if satisfied that it is reasonably
practicable for the person to comply with the requirements imposed by the
notice by the end of the period.
(5) An improvement notice must:
(a) state that the Minister is of the opinion referred to in
subsection (1), and
(b) state the reasons for that opinion, and
(c) include information about obtaining a review of the notice under
(6) An improvement notice may be varied at the request of, or with the
consent of, the person to whom it is given.