Marine Safety Act 1998 No 121
86 Appointment of persons to exercise functions of harbour
(1) A harbour master may appoint any person to exercise, in relation
to the port for which he or she is the harbour master, the harbour
master’s functions under the marine legislation. The power to make an
appointment under this section is subject to any directions given to the
harbour master by the Minister.
(2) An appointment under this section may be general or may apply only
to the exercise of such functions as are specified in the instrument of
(3) A person appointed under this section has all the functions
specified in the instrument of appointment.
(4) The appointment under this section of a person to exercise any of
the functions of a harbour master does not prevent that harbour master from
exercising those functions.
(5) The Minister may also appoint a person to exercise the functions
of a harbour master under the marine legislation in relation to a port
(whether or not a harbour master has been appointed for the
(6) More than one person may be appointed at any one time under this
section to exercise the functions of a harbour