Division 6 Independent Transport Safety Advisory
42T Independent Transport Safety Advisory Board
(1) There is established by this Act an Independent Transport Safety
(2) The Board is to consist of the following 5 members:
(a) a Chairperson appointed by the Governor, on the recommendation of
(b) 3 members appointed by the Minister,
(c) the Chief Executive.
(3) The members appointed by the Minister must have experience in one
or more of the following areas, as the Minister considers necessary to enable
the Board’s functions to be carried out:
(a) rail safety management systems,
(b) safety science,
(c) customer service,
(d) accident investigation,
(e) public administration.
(4) The Chairperson of the Board must have experience in transport
safety management systems (including rail safety management
(4A) For the purposes of exercising its functions, the Board may
arrange for the use of any staff or facilities of the
(5) Schedule 2A has effect with respect to the members and procedure
of the Board.
42U General functions of Board
(1) The Board has the functions conferred or imposed on it by or under
this or any other Act.
(2) The principal function of the Board is to advise and make
recommendations to the Minister or the ITSR about any
(3) The Board may also advise the Minister, or make recommendations to
the Minister, or both, about any matter related to the safe operation of
transport services (including safety regulation by transport