Legal Profession Act 1987 No 109
48ZQ Cancellation of registration
(1) The domestic registration authority may, by notice in writing to a locally registered foreign lawyer, cancel the lawyer’s registration under this Part if it is of the opinion that there is sufficient reason for doing so.
(2) Without limiting the grounds for cancellation, registration may be cancelled if:
(a) a home registration authority of the foreign lawyer cancels registration of the foreign lawyer as a result of criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings, or
(b) the foreign lawyer fails to comply with any requirements of this Part, or
(c) the registration of the foreign lawyer by one or more of the lawyer’s home registration authorities has lapsed, or
(d) the foreign lawyer has not established an office to practise foreign law or a commercial legal presence in the State within the period prescribed by the regulations after being granted registration, or
(e) the foreign lawyer fails to comply with any condition imposed on the lawyer’s registration under this Part.
(3) Registration is not to be cancelled on any of the above grounds unless the foreign lawyer is given reasonable opportunity to make written submissions to the domestic registration authority.
(4) Registration is not to be cancelled on the ground that the foreign lawyer’s registration has lapsed as referred to in subsection (2) (c) if the lawyer demonstrates that the lapse did not result from any criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings against the lawyer but from circumstances beyond the lawyer’s control.
(5) Registration as a locally registered foreign lawyer under this Part is automatically cancelled if the lawyer concerned:
(a) is registered as a domestic lawyer, or
(b) requests the domestic registration authority to cancel the registration.
(6) Cancellation of registration at the request of a foreign lawyer does not affect the exercise by the domestic registration authority of any power relating to disciplinary proceedings brought against the lawyer before the cancellation.