Water Industry Competition Act 2006 No 104
82 Penalty notices
(1) An authorised official may serve a penalty notice on a person if it appears to the official that the person has committed an offence against this Act or the regulations, being an offence prescribed by the regulations.
(2) A penalty notice is a notice to the effect that, if the person served does not wish to have the matter determined by a court, the person may pay, within the time and to the person specified in the notice, the penalty prescribed by the regulations for the offence if dealt with under this section.
(3) A penalty notice may be served personally or by post.
(4) If the amount of the penalty prescribed for the alleged offence is paid under this section, no person is liable to any further proceedings for the alleged offence.
(5) Payment under this section is not an admission of liability for the purposes of, and does not affect or prejudice, any civil claim, action or proceeding arising out of the same occurrence.
(6) The regulations:
(a) may prescribe an offence for the purposes of this section by specifying the offence or by referring to the provision creating the offence, and
(b) may prescribe the amount of penalty for the offence if dealt with under this section, and
(c) may prescribe different amounts of penalty for different offences or classes of offences.
(7) The amount of penalty prescribed under this section for an offence may not exceed the maximum amount of penalty that could be imposed for the offence by a court.
(8) This section does not limit the operation of any other provision of, or made under, this or any other Act relating to proceedings which may be taken in respect of offences.
(9) In this section, authorised official means a person appointed in writing by the Minister as an authorised official for the purposes of this section.